I am a fiction book publicist specializing in Young Adult Contemporary titles with a focus on LGBTQ+ stories about sports and athletes. As a trans man (and hockey fan), I am a strong advocate for trans kids in sports and having representation in media. Through publicity, I will work with you to create a social media campaign to secure coverage for your book.
Books have become a huge part of my life since I rekindled my love for reading in 2014 leading to the start of my YouTube channel, Pucksandpaperbacks where I share my love of seeing queer and trans representation in Young Adult books with my audience of fellow book lovers. This has led to building relationships with publicists from Penguin Teen, Fierce Reads, Algonquin Young Readers, and more as I’ve been on the backend of publicity. Due to my longevity in the online book community, I have an extensive list of contacts and close connections to popular book influencers.
Over the last two years, I have worked on over 20+ titles such as Sweet People Are Everywhere by Alice Walker, illustrated by Quim Torres, The Rare Tiny Flower by Kitty O’Meara, illustrated by Quim Torres, What’s Hidden in the Sky by Anita Bestard, I Am A Little Pastry Chef and I Am A Little Fashion Designer by Mayumi Oono, A Very Typical Family by Sierra Godfrey, and Mariana and Her Familia by Mónica Mancillas.
See below for my portfolio including my outreach efforts and success.
Book me to create a marketing strategy, book events, and guarantee reviews before your novel is released. I also work with self-published novels and novels that have already been published. Let’s work to create a plan and get your novel into the right hands!
Rates: Starting at $25-$40 USD / hour. We will discuss costs depending on what you’re looking for, your budget, and your timeline. I am flexible and looking to give you the best services possible.
As an avid reader and book reviewer for the last eight years, I am equipt to read your manuscript and give you honest feedback and critiques. I spend a great deal of my time seeking out representation for my identities. As a sensitivity reader, I want to help more trans folks see themselves represented in novels. By offering my services, please be mindful of my time and honest critiques. I want to help you improve your novel and check the representation for any harmful or incorrect language or details.
Privacy Terms and Conditions
- I will work with any aspiring authors, published authors, publishing houses, and/or self-published authors. You MUST have a full manuscript ready for me to read.
- My agreement to serve as a sensitivity reader does not equate to a review from me or any endorsement of your work on my YouTube channel or any other reviewing website. If you would like to partner with me for reviewing or promotion, please see my Media Kit and Review Policy for more details.
- I will not share any information regarding your manuscript with anyone but pre-approved personnel for its final publication. After publication, I reserve the right to share my opinions and criticize the text of the finished copy. If I feel it is appropriate and necessary to consult another party about your work, I will ask you for permission before doing so but will not disclose your identity.
- If your manuscript is published, you have my full permission to include my name in your acknowledgments.
- I comply with signing any formal non-disclosure agreements.
- I will respond to requests with an acceptance or rejection within 5-7 business days. I am based on the East Coast in The United States, please take this into account. If I have not responded, you may follow up to ask about the status of your request.
- If I accept and decide you and your manuscript are a good fit for me, I will discuss our plan and share a proposal for you to sign going over guidelines, timelines, and payment. Plus, I can sign any non-disclosure agreements you may have.
Below, I have listed my prices, reading preferences, and the representation I read for.
My Identities & Representation
- I am a transgender man therefore, I will read for transmasculine characters, transgender men, and transgender boys.
- Gender Dysphoria
- Social anxiety representation
I will only read for the following age demographics and book formats. Contemporary Fiction genre. This is my preferred genre. Please do not ask me to read anything outside of this genre.
- Middle Grade
- Adult or New Adult (No Romance or Erotica)
- Young Adult
- Children’s Picture Books
- Comics and Graphic Novels
Payment Terms and Conditions
Sensitivity reading takes time and I also work a job Mon-Fri and run a YouTube channel which also requires me to read. Thus, my rates are determined based on the time it will take me to read and thoroughly give feedback on your manuscript. My terms are based on a monthly basis. Please note that it will take me approximately 3 months to read your manuscript.
My starting rates are $5 per every 1,000 words. All of my payments are done through Venmo in USD.
That said, I am willing to work with your budget and offer a sliding scale for students and people who are unemployed.
If I accept and agree that we are a good match, I will ask for the first half of the payment upfront before we begin working together.
Let’s work together!
Fill out this form or contact me at alexzumpinopr[at]gmail[dot]com to request my services. Please keep your message detailed including what you’re requesting, why you feel we’re a good fit, and a little about you and your book (synopsis, query, genre, age demographic, and publication date). Please make it as detailed as possible!
You must be logged in to post a comment.